Let me first reserve judgement for the show itself, because that trailer is awful.
Someone needs to take that trailer editor out back and hand them their termination papers.
- Firstly, what is that song? Diet M83? It’s not great.
- Secondly, there’s no suspense, no hook for us to go forward. They’ve pretty much told us the entire arc in 1:20
- There’s no way you need that much narrative/explanation text, you have a ready-made fan base.
- At 0:55 I think we’re supposed to be afraid of Klingon hands, we grew up on a steady diet of Alien movies, Klingon hands do not scare us. It’s even less ominous placed over that diet electro tune.
- 1:15 we’ve established that Sonequa Martin-Green is a badass, do we need her to pose in front of a green screen to establish attractiveness? It looks.. contrived.
- MICHELLE YEOH!
I hand on heart love the idea of Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Martin-Green leading this, but this trailer paints the show in the worst possible light. Let’s wait til the show happens, shall we?